I recently have made a pact with myself to get to the gym more often. The added benefits have been powerful: more energy throughout the day, a jump start to my morning, and a kickin’ bod. (Okay, so I’m still working on that last part.) My biggest struggle thus far? Packing my bag for the day! I’m always forgetting one essential item. The first time it was my belt, the second my socks, a few times a headband or two, and twice it’s been my BRA.
To help all of the other forgetful fitness fanatics out there, I put together a list of my 10 Gym Bag Essentials that will make your morning routine go much more smoothly.
- Sports Bra and Normal Bra: Don’t be that girl. AKA me. Somehow, wearing a sports bra under your button-down just doesn’t feel right.
- Extra Pair of Underwear and Socks: Because we don’t want to be gross. Also please reference #7.
- Headphones: Forget these and you are stuck listening to the whir of your neighbors’ treadmills.
- Facial Cleanser: Whether you pick up a duplicate of your favorite face wash or face wipes, it’s important to keep your face clean after AND before your work-out.
- Perfume: I have never thought so highly of extra rollerballs or fragrance samples. A girl’s best friend.
- Sneakers/ Normal Shoes/ Flip Flops: It’s all about the socks needed for each. White gym socks in black booties just don’t feel OR look right. The flip flops will protect you from the dirty gym shower floor. Enough said.
- Sweatshirt: Whether it’s summer or fall, I always toss on an extra sweatshirt that protects me from the cooler morning weather on my way to the gym.
- Headband: If you are like me, running on a treadmill with hair in your face is like trying to eat a burger with a fly circling your meal. Fly away fly-aways.
- Hair: Speaking of hair, be sure to pack your dry shampoo, hair spray, and beach salt spray. All are perfect for keeping that post gym hair under control.
- Snack: Whether it’s a Luna bar or a pre-mixed protein drink, pack breakfast to keep your new-found morning energy going throughout the day.
I always pack my bag the night before and lay out the outfit I’m wearing to the gym. It makes the morning run much more smoothly, and I can get quickly out the door feeling confident that I didn’t forget anything.
Create your own essentials kit that stays in your gym’s locker room. In mine, I keep heavier essentials that I know I’ll need every morning, but I don’t want to lug in every morning and disrupt my at-home beauty routine. My must haves? A shower caddy filled with: shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, hair spray, hair brush, body soap, loofa, facial wipes, and make-up remover pads.
Last, but not least – don’t hesitate to try your outfit on the night before. You’ll be surprised how many times I put my outfit on in the locker room and wonder why in the world I paired those pants with that shirt.
What’s on your must-have list? Share below!